I am an assistant professor of Social Theory and Philosophy of the Social Sciences, holding a joint appointment at the Institute of Philosophy and the Institute of Sociology of the University of Zurich. I am also an external member of the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy at LMU Munich and a member of the Center for Higher Education and Science Studies (CHESS) at the University of Zurich.
I am a project partner in the interdisciplinary University Research Priority Program “Equality of Opportunity”. I also serve as an associate editor of the Journal of Economic Methodology, and the book review editor of the Journal of the History of Economic Thought. Finally, I am member of the editorial board of Oeconomia - History, Methodology, Philosophy and of the newly founded book series with De Gruyter, History of Philosophy and Science.
I research on topics in history and philosophy of the social sciences with a particular emphasis on economics. I also have an interest in the history of philosophy of science and historical epistemology. I use a variety of methods from philosophy, sociology, and history of science. I apply traditional approaches - such as case studies - but also quantitative-empirical methods in history and philosophy of the social sciences; I do archival research in my historical research; I conduct long interviews to get into close contact with scientific practitioners; and I closely collaborate with sociologists and psychologists to study gender issues in philosophy.
- Two of my papers were accepted, one on rational choice explanations in political science (with Johannes Marx) and one on thick concepts in economics (with Charles Djordjevic). Email me, if you are interested.
- Chiara Lisciandra, Carlo Martini and myself will edit a special issue on The Soul of Economics, for the Journal of Economic Methodology. Papers will be due in August 2021. Watch out for contributions that help is better understand whether there is a core that holds economics together.
- Together with my colleagues Michael Messerli (UZH) and Kevin Reuter (UZH), we will organize a conference on Preferences, Commitments and Choice. Find the call for papers here.
- Together with my colleagues Georg Brun (Bern) und Kevin Reuter (UZH), we are editing a Topical Collection on Concept Formation in the Natural and Social Sciences: Empirical and Normative Aspects for Synthese. Here is the call.
- Here is an interview about some of my work that I did with Scott Scheall, Eduardo Serra and Carlos Eduardo Suprinyak for their Podcast 'Smith and Marx Walk Into A Bar: A History of Economics Podcast'.