I am Professor of Philosophy and History of Economics at the University of Hannover. Before that, I was an assistant professor of Social Theory and Philosophy of the Social Sciences at the University of Zurich. I am also an external member of the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy at LMU Munich, an affiliated member of the Center for Higher Education and Science Studies (CHESS) at the University of Zurich, and an affiliated fellow with the F.A. Hayek Program for Advanced Study in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics at the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.
I serve as a board member of the International Network of Economic Methodology, an associate editor of the Journal of Economic Methodology, and the book review editor of the Journal of the History of Economic Thought. I am furthermore member of the editorial board of Oeconomia - History, Methodology, Philosophy and of the newly founded book series with De Gruyter, History of Philosophy and Science. Finally, I have recently been elected steering committee member of the European Philosophy of Science Association and executive committee member of the European Society of the History of Economic Thought.
I research on topics in history and philosophy of economics. I also have an interest in the history of philosophy of science and historical epistemology. I use a variety of methods from philosophy, sociology, and history of science. I apply traditional approaches - such as case studies - but also quantitative-empirical methods in history and philosophy of the social sciences; I do archival research in my historical research; I conduct long interviews to get into close contact with scientific practitioners; and I closely collaborate with sociologists and psychologists to study gender issues in philosophy.
- TWO JOBS: I advertise two positions for a postdoctoral researcher (job ad here) and one PhD student (job ad here). Consider applying!
- On April 1, 2023 I started my ERC Project 'Model Transfer and Its Challenges in Science: The Case of Economics' at the University of Hannover. Here is a short project description and here is the project website.
- New paper (with Malte Döhne) about How Academic Opinion Leaders Shape Scientific Ideas: An Acknowledgement Analysis accepted by Scientometrica.
- I am excited to have won the Karl-Heinz Hoffmann Prize 2021, which is awarded annually by the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities. Here is the press release and laudatio.
- Here is an interview about some of my work that I did with Scott Scheall, Eduardo Serra and Carlos Eduardo Suprinyak for their Podcast 'Smith and Marx Walk Into A Bar: A History of Economics Podcast'.