I am an assistant professor of Social Theory and Philosophy of the Social Sciences, holding a joint appointment at the Institute of Philosophy and the Institute of Sociology of the University of Zurich. I am also an external member of the Munich Center for Mathematical Philosophy at LMU Munich, a member of the Center for Higher Education and Science Studies (CHESS) at the University of Zurich, and an affiliated fellow with the F.A. Hayek Program for Advanced Study in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics at the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.
I am a project partner in the interdisciplinary University Research Priority Program “Equality of Opportunity”. I also serve as a board member of the International Network of Economic Methodology, an associate editor of the Journal of Economic Methodology, and the book review editor of the Journal of the History of Economic Thought. I am furthermore member of the editorial board of Oeconomia - History, Methodology, Philosophy and of the newly founded book series with De Gruyter, History of Philosophy and Science. Finally, I have recently been elected steering committee member of the European Philosophy of Science Association and as an executive committee member of the European Society of the History of Economic Thought.
I research on topics in history and philosophy of the social sciences with a particular emphasis on economics. I also have an interest in the history of philosophy of science and historical epistemology. I use a variety of methods from philosophy, sociology, and history of science. I apply traditional approaches - such as case studies - but also quantitative-empirical methods in history and philosophy of the social sciences; I do archival research in my historical research; I conduct long interviews to get into close contact with scientific practitioners; and I closely collaborate with sociologists and psychologists to study gender issues in philosophy.
- Call for Papers: Special Issue on Diversity in Philosophy of Economics and Economic Methodology, Deadline for expression of interest is February 28, 2023 and for article submissions: December 17, 2023. Here is the call for papers.
- New paper (with Malte Döhne) about How Academic Opinion Leaders Shape Scientific Ideas: An Acknowledgement Analysis accepted by Scientometrica.
- Thrilled to share the news that I received an ERC Starting Grant for my project 'Model Transfer and Its Challenges in Science: The Case of Economics'. Here is a project description. The project starts in April 2023. Can't wait; watch out for advertisements of at least two positions for postdoctoral researchers and one PhD student (specializations: philosophy and history of economics, (empirical) philosophy of science with skills in network analysis, blockmodeling, topic modeling or scholars from digital humanities).
- I am excited to have won the Karl-Heinz Hoffmann Prize 2021, which is awarded annually by the Bavarian Academy of Sciences and Humanities. Here is the press release and laudatio.
- Here is an interview about some of my work that I did with Scott Scheall, Eduardo Serra and Carlos Eduardo Suprinyak for their Podcast 'Smith and Marx Walk Into A Bar: A History of Economics Podcast'.